CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 20, 2010

lowered my ears

I CUT MY HAIR today....dramatically so.

Back in the day when energy flowed through my stretchmark-less body, I was a hair cut/color change-aholic.  I had extremely thick hair that many people told me 'was bigger than my body.'  *not true, but it was really thick. *


This is not the greatest pic to use as an example, but I don't have any others on my computer....
plus.....I now see where my son gets his 'smile' from. : )

After a medication I was taking in 2006, I lost massive quantities of my gigantic mane.  I have never really been one to care much about appearance, but I became very self-conscious about the loss. I was prescribed many different topical medications without much success.  After four years or so of patience and ointments galore, my hair has finally come to a somewhat normal state.  It is far from what it used to be, but I am so grateful for those hair follicles that are now happily residing on the top of my head. 
  
NO VACANCY.  eat that Best Western!!

I am going to get all kraft macaroni and cheesy on ya'all, but I do want to express my love for the Lord and all He has done for me, particularly during this small yet difficult trial that I experienced.  I didn't understand  the atonement and what all it does for us.  I thought that something as un-eternal (my homemade word) as going bald and the emotional baggage that it brings was something that I alone had to 'get over' & conquer with my own sword.  Well, as tough as I thought my 5'2" frame was.....I lost.  It took a lot of humble prayer, scripture study, and some serious pondering (PRIMARY ANSWERS yes...but essential) to understand that the Lord can lift those pains from us as well and not just sin.   Like many of life's challenges, this one was taken to Jones's Dry Cleaning and tailored fit to me.  I am not the most confident person in the world, so strengthening my testimony of the Lord's love for me with or without hair was pertinent.  (In other words, redirecting my source of confidence to be from the Lord and not something superficial.) GET IT, GOT IT.....GOOD. 

moving on....

So, here I am on December....<crap...what is today??? I have to go Christmas shopping still!!!> ....20th 2010 with my new haircut, but most importantly my newfound appreciation for the atonement and the relief it provides us even from life's most simple trials.  It took me over four years to climb this mountain.....but looking down at the valley I crossed, I realize how beautiful of a journey I have experienced. 

I love the Lord.  He loves His children. 

4 comments:

MegRich said...

I had no idea you went through a balding stage! Never even noticed :) Glad you've learned some things. Always a good thing! You're such a strong person. I loved this post. Thanks for sharing Shaila! And I think it's only fair that you post a picture of your darling hair so all those unfortunate folks who haven't seen it yet and have a looksie!

Me and my boys said...

I so remember you and that Global Gumball portion of your life...So cute and fun!!!
I think your little guy is darling and you and your hubby are a super cute couple!!!

Smith said...

I had no idea you had problems with your hair. I always thought you made it look so darn cute. I'm glad you know the Lord loves you, sometimes it's hard for people to see it. You're an inspiration to me. Can't wait to see your new hair cut :)

AUBREY said...

I want to thank you for posting this, because it made me remember and ponder. Yes I know about the Atonement but how many times do I forget to apply it-all to often. So thank you :D

Well I like Pappa Johns too-I guess you could say I'm Switzerland. Err their pepperoni is probably better, but I'm certain Barros ham and pinapple is better than theirs-yeah I'll stick with I'm Switzerland.

Post a Comment